Wednesday, July 18, 2012

New Project (also why I'm crazy)


Yes, I think I have officially gone crazy. I've always had the tendency to take on too much - too many projects that are time intensive, on short order, when I'm busy with other things. BUT this one might just be the craziest. 

I'm moving with M across the country in less than two weeks. In this time I need to pack all my stuff, say goodbye to everyone, celebrate my birthday, AND make a new costume. It's for a friend of mine whose been my roommate since sophomore year, and she really loves this dress:

[JeanBaptisteCamilleCorot4.jpg]
from here
It's a painting called Springtime of Life, by Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot. So yes, this is my plan. Luckily, we have all the fabric, and I made the corset yesterday. The fabric is really lovely - a pair of huge curtains from the local thrift store, in this dusty rose fabric that looks like textured silk (it isn't silk, but it looks neat).  The curtains also came with lining in a sort of stiff white cotton thing, which I'll be using for petticoats and the corset. Unfortunately, though I managed to make the whole corset yesterday, I think I misjudged my seam allowances, so it's actually too big for her. Since I've already put in the boning and the grommets, I'll be attacking it with tucks and darts to try and slim it down without starting over.

I'll keep you updated on the progress of this crazy project!

No comments:

Post a Comment