Sunday, June 30, 2013

Goose Music

I started a new job yesterday - staffing wedding events at a garden. The garden includes a lake/pond, and there are lots of geese and ducks wandering around. We were cleaning up debris from a meadow area, when I heard something surprising.

It sounded like rain. That really lovely pitter-patter of raindrops gently falling on the roof, ground, and rustling through the leaves.

Now, you may not think that terribly surprising, except for the fact that it was a hot, sunny, perfectly clear day, and I was not being rained upon. So I turned around, and all I could find as a possible source was a flock/gaggle of geese*. It took me a minute to figure out, but apparently a group of 30 or so geese all eating grass at the same time sounds a lot like a light rainfall!







*Did you know that a group of geese is called a gaggle when they're on the ground, but a skein when they're flying?

No comments:

Post a Comment